Monday, March 16, 2009

First Day

well aside from waking up because of the rain on the window in the middle of the night and the smell of the heat turning on an hour before I had to wake up I was pretty refreshed for the morning. I listened to this odd radio show before going to bed it was an audio book of sorts from 1956 after the radioactive wars. People lived in outer space and earth "terra" had turned into a terrible place where you were always watched. There was a resistance though called freedomites.

Anyway, I was a little behind getting ready in the morning, i forgot the garage door opener so had to come back upstairs for it. When i finally got out it was like 7:38, and I thought that was later than i wanted but i could till get there in time as long as I didn't doddle.

My mountain bike isn't really the speediest of vehicles though and for some reason I had to turn right instead of left and end up riding up a hill, more like a mountain. When I get down I'm in the same place I started and my knee was hurting. 2 min later I'm at the hospital and lock my bike to the outside of the bike cage because you need a proximity card to get in. By the time I get downstairs my face is red and i'm sweating underneath my rain gear (It was wet but there was no rain). Gerald is able to take me to the lockers back upstairs because there isn't enough room for casual workers to have lockers in the department. (By the way the locker room needs a key card, this will be important later on). Luckily I packed an extra shirt, short sleeve of course and I leave my fleece in the locker room, so that i can get nice and chilled later that day downstairs.

I end up going through a few things with the clinical education therapist and she shows me around. The building is beautiful with tons of windows, lots of light and it's pretty easy to get around. A workout room for 10 bucks a month parking is only 13 bucks a month but there is a monstrous wait list to get on that. We go for break chat with a few others and then I get a computer and am told to read the policies and procedures on their intranet as well as other things on the portal.

At lunch I go to the cafeteria and read some more stuff then I head to Unit 4 for the afternoon. There I met with a few others we just chatted a bit and they showed me how things work. Abbotsford is a paperless centre so everything they do is electronic. Winnipeg was going in that direction but hadn't made the move yet. So i have a bunch to learn. It also seems like no one that works their actually lives in Abbotsford. I only met one person that lives here and thats in the residential outskirts and she's my boss.

I also needed to get an access card and photo ID so someone took me to security, no one there. After taking to a resource therapist downstairs for a bit I decide to go back up. I got a temporary access card that they took from someone else that didn't really need it. It was close to home time and when I got downstairs people were packing up. I went upstairs to get my stuff and little did I know but my key card was denied. I had to quickly go find someone before they all left, only the clerk was left and she was rushing out so she found me a physics guy to take me upstairs and open the door. I got my stuff together and headed out for my bike testing my card along the way to see witch doors and gates it would open. Unlocked my bike and was glad to be headed home.

Just my luck that I had to turn the wrong way down Ware street and get lost again. So I finish work at 4:30, get to my bike at like 5 and then my 15 minute bike ride home turns into a 40 min journey, one because I get turned around and two, because My bike rack starts to fall off(which I fixed with a bungy cord thank god) and three, because my knee hurt.
When I got home I had corn flakes topped with some honey and took a break.

All in all I would say that sounds very much like a first day.

Theo

No comments:

Post a Comment